World Harbour Project
To explore the new World Harbour Project website click here.
Initiated by the Sydney Institute of Marine Science (SIMS), the aim of the World Harbour Project is to link, facilitate, and enhance programs of research and management across major urban harbours of the world. The project will establish a coordinated network of research, researchers and managers, bringing global best practice in understanding and managing urban waterways to the 14 participating international partners, which include some of the world’s most iconic cities.
The goals of the WHP are:
- To create a network of cities focused on resilience within urbanized harbours and ports.
- To coordinate multi-city projects to understand and enhance the sustainability of urbanised harbours and ports.
- To enhance community engagement & education regarding the environmental problems associated with these urban systems.
- To enhance the capacity of partner cities to focus on environmental issues within the umbrella of the WHP’s framework for global best practice.
- To assist partner cities in connecting with other members of the WHP network via workshops and symposia.
- To facilitate the exchange of researchers within the network.